Skip to main content

How To Date Me



5'8" bi-racial female, full of piss and vinegar, seeks man to make her laugh. You: upbeat, employed, happy. Me: did I say tall? 

Eons ago it was once suggested that I place a personal ad as a way of meeting people. I was aghast. Personal ads were for losers or people anxious to meet a serial killer. The friend suggested I try New York magazine's last page. I called the magazine and learned that a personal ad with the magazine ran about 200 bucks a word! At that price I decided that serial killers didn't have that sort of pocket money to invest in stalking. Instead I found the New York Press, a free weekly newspaper which offered free personal ads. At that time people wrote actual letters in response to an ad. They sent the letter to the newspaper and the newspaper forwarded the letters on to the person placing the ad.  I sure as heck wish it was still done that way. The caliber of person who writes a letter shoots up 100% in comparison to online dating through e-mail. There is no comparison. I don't know if you can still write letters in response to an ad placed but if anyone knows of a publication that does so, please let me know. 

Over time I concocted various ads in an attempt to fine tune the outcome but it was that first ad I placed which I remember most vividly. I received letters from the incarcerated, from people with handwriting that looked like REDRUM - (written in red ink with a creepy, jerky penmanship that resembled blood dripping from a wall), from men that were classically good looking, to men that needed serious reality checks on choosing pictures meant to influence strange women. There were men who wanted to share my clothing (if I was so inclined), and men who hand wrote the exact same letter over and over again, not realizing I was the same woman who had simply placed a different ad. But I also received letters from men who took the time to express their feelings and write about their dreams of who I might be. Men who divulged their relationship history: where they thought they'd succeeded and where they imagined they'd made mistakes. All of the letters were heartfelt and captivating and most of the letters, with very few exceptions, included two or more handwritten pages filled with the hopes, intentions and thoughts of some pretty amazing men. Nothing can replace a handwritten letter. It was a bit of Christmas when those envelopes arrived.

And then there were the dates.

My very first date was with a popular DJ on the New York radio scene. I was so nervous with anticipation that I vomited into the gutter right before our meeting in Washington Square Park. I can't remember ever being that nervous. I was completely unable to quell the jelly inside. We strolled to Chinatown where he took me for a meal and where I unceasingly, and with feigned concentration, fiddled with my fingers as though they held the answer to where Jimmy Hoffa might be found. He genuinely tried to get to know me but I was paralyzed with the fear. I remember him calling me days later to tell me he had returned to his old flame and I remember thinking: Thank God and I couldn't blame him. Anything would have been better than me on a first date. I was retarded, if you're asking. I really can't say how I mustered the courage to try again, but I did, and with each passing date I became increasingly more at ease. 

I dated a baritone opera singer who performed with The Met. He invited me to one of his practice sessions and while ensconced on a fluffy couch he sang for me a series of librettos. I became great friends with Paul who was one of the funniest men I've ever met yet I never saw him laugh. He was the man whose job it was to write lame blurbs chronicling the intellectual pursuits underneath pictures of women who pose in nudie magazines. I've met more cross dressers than I care to admit to and men who begged me to boss them around- (it sounds like a fun, easy job but I really don't care to practice being mean). I guess I was a little surprised by how many people share this cross dressing fetish. The Japanese, the old, the creepy, incredibly young people, the cute… I imagine the list is likely endless. I mean if you asked me what I'd thought I would get in terms of a grab bag, I don't think I would have come up with cross dressers. But why not? Cross dressers are people too… (My guess is that people with extreme fetishes have a difficult time finding like minded people. In my experience they seem to answer any and all ads in an attempt to get lucky. The fetish is the focus, not you. You can be almost anyone as long as you fulfill the fetishistic need). (If I'm wrong, don't be writing me letters with details about your fetish). 

I met a man from England, who had a friend, who got me a job. I dated Chris, a lovely man, who wasn't for me, but I introduced him to a girlfriend I thought he'd get on with - they went on to marry and have twins. I met E who changed my life. And I met a few cheap egomaniacs whom I viscerally disliked, but all in all I would say I only met about five truly despicable men. I've had first dates at museums, driving upstate to see the autumn leaves, ice skating, riding The Staten Island Ferry, picking out toys at F.A.O. Schwarz at Christmastime, getting our hair cut side by side with my first date at SUPERCUTS, walking across The Brooklyn Bridge, the Old Viaduct, apple picking, buying two chickens and competing as to who makes a better chicken. I met a gaggle of ivy league grads, I saw every sort of imaginable apartment from: how can you live in this place? To: how can you afford this place? I was introduced to the work of Louis-Ferdinand Celine and Hubert Selby, Jr. I spent 5 years sharing Thanksgiving with Timothy always bringing my much requested chocolate mousse for his ever evolving band of friends. Handfuls of people where introduced to other people I knew so that we all could enrich and expand our circle of friends. The calibre of people I met were wonderful. They were clever, absorbing, engaging, and keen to meet someone just like me. The fallacious notion that people who place or answer personal ads are somehow different or suspect, is a myth. Socially it was perhaps the highlight of my life. A time when I met the most flavorful of people. 

Me 30's tall. African American woman former singer, well read book worm, looking for slightly older man to laugh around the city with. Let me worry about your looks. Serious replies only. 

The experience gave me an invaluable crash course on social graces. I acquired the skill to talk with strangers at a moments notice about anything. I mastered the art of putting people at ease, to draw out the shy, to make the unlikeable feel liked - sometimes affording me an escape route. Perhaps more importantly I came to grasp within minutes where something or someone was headed; who you are apt to be in the long run. Over the course of 6 years I met with approximately 200 men. I learned to trust my instincts, I learned about safety, I learned about first impression. It has sunk deep the importance of a woman ALWAYS having money in her pocket so she can leave whenever she wants to. I can surmise that the man who greets you by saying: "let's go Dutch," either doesn't like you on site, or if he asks to see you again, is simply cheap. Further if a man asks you to pay the bill after your first date by saying something like: "I know you want to pay because I know you are an independent woman." he is not cheap but rather a manipulative sociopath. I've learned that if you like someone over the phone, set up a meeting ASAP so that your fantasy doesn't have time to ruin your reality. The most substantial thing I gained was understanding what type of man I am actually drawn to. When I was young I was attracted to what I thought I was supposed to be attracted to; what my girlfriends liked; something from a magazine. Nothing to do with what blew wind up my skirt. There is truth in the saying: people blessed with good looks have no need to develop a personality.

55 y/o woman struggling with her weight with stray hairs on her chinny, chin, chin, seeks a man who knows a thing or two about mamposteria walls. Men with genuine wooden legs OK. Must own a boat and have a hobby revolving around bottles of rum. I'm learning to whittle. Please know a sea shanty or two. Extra credit for an eye patch.

I like men who some might consider ugly. I like a mug that takes ages to absorb. A face that takes a good 6 years just to acquaint myself with the chin. I like a man with a large nose. I like his nose bumping my face as he comes in for a kiss. Unlike Ivan Yakovievich I find something pleasantly amusing about engaging with a nose when I know lips are soon to follow. I like the landing part where you navigate just so interlocking the puzzle pieces of your body. He is a renaissance man but has plenty of time to make a woman laugh. This man has spent time perfecting the ways in which to seduce a woman. He knows he can't simply walk by with a smart outfit or an air of arrogance.  I like the Charles Bukowski's and the F. Murray Abraham's. I find something charming about Flavor Flav (though he's not my type) and as a teenager it was a Telly Savalas poster which graced my bedroom wall. I fall in love with character and éclat. My ears tingle when I hear the language I speak presented with panache. When I hear the whimsical and the ridiculous. When a man remembers something I've said and returns it to me translated into his love. I like a man that giggles and can think of nothing better than a laugh. If he can fix something, nothing specific, he should know I have my eyes on him. If he's quiet and shy then he thrives because I am not.

From Redditt: Speaking as a very ugly man, I can tell you dress well, err on the side of too much hygiene, be funny and interesting (can't stress this enough, read a book if you have to), and don't be an asshole (no one likes an ugly asshole).
People are more forgiving of severe ugliness than we generally give credit for. If a hideous monster like me can attract ladies, seriously anyone can).

Send me somebody who's strong and someone sincere…*

Tall older woman seeking same with man. Must have own teeth. Bald OK. Comb-overs not welcome. No aging hippie's hanging on to 15 hairs in a pony-tail. Give it up for a woman who should have been a comedienne.

Tall bi-racial large 55y/o F with a room of her own (as well as a library and a Kindle) seeks same or slightly older man who wants a room of his own too. Will rendezvous with you in the kitchen on a daily basis. Must like animals and be willing to do chores. Please look good in a turtleneck. Have a hobby other than staring at me. Just do it, if you can - don't make me ask three times. I will reciprocate. Must hold hands when out in public. Has to have a funny bone and be forever on the look-out to activate mine. Storytellers, raconteurs, chefs, people who can tell the difference between direct and mean, all receive an extra gold star. We will be like oil to vinegar, separated and waiting for a good throttle from a passerby if you are inclined towards gym memberships, fanatical associations (including the ones you believe to be the exception), are prone to speaking English with increasing volume to non English speakers in hopes they will eventually understand.  Your race is unimportant. I should not be an experiment for you. Please have at least one other friend of colour so when the time comes that I need to talk about you I have someone in the know who loves us both and whom I can give a high-five to once in awhile. Have ten questions and ten things to tell when responding in longhand. Inquire within. Must have own transportation to my house.






* The Same Situation - Joni Mitchell. The actual lyrics are written: Send me somebody who's strong and somewhat sincere… I don't like that 'somewhat' business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diane Tose 1942-2020

  In part, Diane’s passing marks the end of an era. The end of a time in history when the work in HIV research was experimental and run by mavericks. Diane was a ‘maverick’ in the truest sense of the word. We all were no matter the discipline we worked in. We were trailblazers. Diane was a complex woman. If you didn’t come to know her she was just a tall British woman who put the fear of God in you. She was pragmatic, demanding, and proudly British, even though she confided in me that she felt much more American than British. Diane liked things just so. An inch either way would be enough for her to voice a strong opinion. Opinionated women can often be alarming, but in Diane I found a heroine. I admired and looked up to Diane. She was no-nonsense. I can remember her calling patients into her office for pelvic examinations with a loudly overheard: Let’s have a look-see, or a get those feet up in the stirrups. I am sure that had she been a man she’d have been reported into oblivion, but

My Plantation Sown With Sorrow

  I recently found this academic paper while going through things in my home. It is a book review of Dorothy West's novel, The Wedding. It was written sometime between 1994-97 when I was working with the Dean of Empire State College,  James H. Case , who served as my mentor. I do not know how to put footnotes in Blogger so I will be using asterisks with an associated number which can be found at the end of the piece.  Two days ago I closed Dorothy West's book, The Wedding, and fell straight to sleep. I had a dream. I was out shopping but had an appointment with E's therapist later in the day. I was supposed to meet E there.  I called twice to say I would be late and finally arrived when the session was over. When I arrive, E and the therapist are friendly. The therapist tells us of a party we might be interested in going to later that very evening. E and I agree to go. We arrived at the party and I immediately split to go sit with the gay men and begin to yuck it up as onl

Consider This

 This post was inspired by my dear friend Sue, a psychoanalyst on the west coast of the US. It was a conversation we recently had where she asked me how I control or deal with being bipolar. She said that my experience was important and that I should write about it. So here we go. I’ve been in therapy on and off for 50 years. Periodically I return to therapy when I need to tease something out that is going on with me where I want a second voice. In another conversation with Sue I asked her if someone could be given a diagnosis at one time and with therapy work through and out of that diagnosis into either another diagnosis or to more awareness, self reflection and control over the things that led you to therapy in the first place. She responded with an emphatic: Yes. Think of it this way: A diagnosis helps to focus your awareness to go further towards your healing and self awareness; gathering self respect along the way. Your awareness expands within the diagnosis and with that expansi