Skip to main content

The Revolution Is Being Televised. Part Two: Rap Goes Elsewhere

Rap Goes Elsewhere


It is better to die on your feet
Than live on your knees. The hoodie travels the world 

And everywhere it went it remained the same only changing to accommodate a new culture. To apartheid South Africa, Kwaito, to Tibet, Somalia, to China and everywhere it went it picked up momentum, everyone adding something, nothing taken away. It was reinvigorated and it's never going away. It is the music of the revolution. It's the advice our fathers never gave, it's the time our mothers never had, it's the sight for sore eyes. It's the travel plans we have yet never having any money, it's the truth: that united we stand. It's a spirit that can not be squashed, it's joy despite centuries of hurt.

To South Africa with Mdlwembe by Zola and on to Palm Island Australia giving voice to the Aboriginal. Then on to Somalia born K'naan returning to The First Nations of America. Rap has traveled far and wide and wherever it goes it understands the language of the hoodie, the dress code necessary to make itself welcome. It knows where to pick up where others have left off, and like magic it knows what to say, where it stands, right now. The subaltern is everywhere and everywhere the subaltern is the privileged is sure to follow. And universally, the brown, the subaltern, the poor, are speaking amongst one another, forming ideas, perfecting things, electing leaders, amassing wealth, 



and trying to figure out how to make things better for everyone. 

I think it's a natural phenomena, something I feel in my bones, for those of privilege to be fearful of such people, such energy, such anger, such revolt. It is natural to imagine that once you let the cat out of the bag all the cat is going to want to do is find you and your shit and piss all over it. But that perception and fear can only manifest itself if there is no remorse or understanding. Simplistically: I'm sorry goes a long way for most people. And people with no remorse really don't have a place at the New Supper. What's that saying? How does it go? Good riddance to bad rubbish.  




There will come a time, a day, this is not a threat, it's evolution, when just the few having the most will not work. It is not sustainable. It feels great when we play Monopoly and wrest money from those who landed on Park Place as we rub our palms together like gleeful Fagin's but in real life this behaviour can't last forever. It will work if you can leave the planet and start elsewhere, but if the majority are the have nots, how long do you think that's going to last? I am by no means a terrorist but those that are have already figured out that taking big things down puts huge dents in pocketbooks. And if you have not already figured this out, this level of exasperated



doesn't give a flying fuck if they lose their own life in the process. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and I do not for one moment believe people are lined up to get good with Allah. Factions of Islam is Rap music under the Taliban without the necessary teachers in place to guide and see things through when direction will be needed the most. 
African Americans don't want the world for themselves. We do't want White folk gone. There is nothing we believe in or think that we feel a need to insist upon for others. All any of these videos is asking for is for people to share. The right to have what you have. The right to share in the same bounties. The right to walk freely without being asked for our papers. The right to eat the way we want to eat without you suddenly deciding that what I eat serves you better and I have no say in the matter. Privilege takes what it wants without asking and the subaltern, thanks to the internet and Rap music is quickly figuring out that: that shit's got to go. Rap music is a symptom. It is here, now, being created in the atmosphere from which it grows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diane Tose 1942-2020

  In part, Diane’s passing marks the end of an era. The end of a time in history when the work in HIV research was experimental and run by mavericks. Diane was a ‘maverick’ in the truest sense of the word. We all were no matter the discipline we worked in. We were trailblazers. Diane was a complex woman. If you didn’t come to know her she was just a tall British woman who put the fear of God in you. She was pragmatic, demanding, and proudly British, even though she confided in me that she felt much more American than British. Diane liked things just so. An inch either way would be enough for her to voice a strong opinion. Opinionated women can often be alarming, but in Diane I found a heroine. I admired and looked up to Diane. She was no-nonsense. I can remember her calling patients into her office for pelvic examinations with a loudly overheard: Let’s have a look-see, or a get those feet up in the stirrups. I am sure that had she been a man she’d have been reported into oblivion, but

My Plantation Sown With Sorrow

  I recently found this academic paper while going through things in my home. It is a book review of Dorothy West's novel, The Wedding. It was written sometime between 1994-97 when I was working with the Dean of Empire State College,  James H. Case , who served as my mentor. I do not know how to put footnotes in Blogger so I will be using asterisks with an associated number which can be found at the end of the piece.  Two days ago I closed Dorothy West's book, The Wedding, and fell straight to sleep. I had a dream. I was out shopping but had an appointment with E's therapist later in the day. I was supposed to meet E there.  I called twice to say I would be late and finally arrived when the session was over. When I arrive, E and the therapist are friendly. The therapist tells us of a party we might be interested in going to later that very evening. E and I agree to go. We arrived at the party and I immediately split to go sit with the gay men and begin to yuck it up as onl

Consider This

 This post was inspired by my dear friend Sue, a psychoanalyst on the west coast of the US. It was a conversation we recently had where she asked me how I control or deal with being bipolar. She said that my experience was important and that I should write about it. So here we go. I’ve been in therapy on and off for 50 years. Periodically I return to therapy when I need to tease something out that is going on with me where I want a second voice. In another conversation with Sue I asked her if someone could be given a diagnosis at one time and with therapy work through and out of that diagnosis into either another diagnosis or to more awareness, self reflection and control over the things that led you to therapy in the first place. She responded with an emphatic: Yes. Think of it this way: A diagnosis helps to focus your awareness to go further towards your healing and self awareness; gathering self respect along the way. Your awareness expands within the diagnosis and with that expansi