Skip to main content

Movies With Mom

First you have to jump in the family car about ten minutes behind schedule, race down River Side Drive so anxious you believe you might throw up. Then you double check everything making sure everything is there: money, glasses and birth certificate, (the last item comes later).. You pull off The Drive at the appropriate exit only to start in on St. Anthony, promising him anything in exchange for one measly parking space within four and a half blocks of the theatre (picky Catholics?) You find one, thank old St. Anthony and you lock up the VW bus. You walk half a block and I scream: We forgot your glasses! At this moment, if you are older than eighteen you mentally say: Oh Shit! (Remember time is running out and you haven't hit the bodega for goodies yet). If you are under eighteen, me, you pray the movie hasn't started yet and that you'll have time to get goodies and that you'll make it to the bathroom real soon.

You retrieve the glasses, re-lock the door and run to the nearest bodega. There you are after only two separate items: 10 Charms Lollipops and two half pounds of Hershey's Chocolate WITH ALMONDS. (Do not think about your child's complexion for one moment).

We are now ready to watch movies. You say to the ticket person: One adult and one child. He looks at you, then at me, and then back at you and says: Lady, I was not born yesterday! But you and I are old pros at going to the movies. Mom yanks out the well used birth certificate and proceeds to tell this creep that she doesn't care what his eyes see, this paper is fact, and it even explains why we are not of the same colour.

Whew! We're in. I ask where the bathroom is, but it's almost too late. I think to myself: St. Anthony, another million if you just get me to the toilet and nowhere else…Thanks.

In the theatre we find seats and sit down. Mom hands me my bag of candy and I take the lollipops out and line them up according to which ones I shall eat first, second… fifth.

Lights dim and the movies starts. It could be The Lovers of Turuel, Blow Up, Elvira Madigan or a Greta Garbo film festival. whatever the movie I always fantasized that it was me who was so tragic, loved or heroic. After all I menstruated like my mother, like a grown up. She had the power to get me into R rated films so I could watch other women like me feel pain, cry or die, fight back or laugh, doing all of the things that I would do if I were older. It was my very own three hours to believe that maybe I was better, more mature than those morons I went to school with. I watched for those hours and always saw someone who came out holy because they put up with men and waited for their time to blossom. Three solid hours to forget about my body, (that's probably where it did all of it's developing, right there in front of Steve McQueen.

About half of the movies we saw were foreign which added to the fantasy that I was more beautiful and interesting than I believed. Because of the sub-titles, I believe I am the fastest speed reader in the cinema dark in the under ten category.

I still go to the movies today. I recommend them to everyone. And you can bet that when I have children I'll drive them around once a week at a frantic pace, along with St. Anthony, a bag full of Charms Lollipops and Hershey's Chocolate WITH ALMONDS. And you know… I won't give a damn about their complexions either.

1/1/81
Portland, Oregon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diane Tose 1942-2020

  In part, Diane’s passing marks the end of an era. The end of a time in history when the work in HIV research was experimental and run by mavericks. Diane was a ‘maverick’ in the truest sense of the word. We all were no matter the discipline we worked in. We were trailblazers. Diane was a complex woman. If you didn’t come to know her she was just a tall British woman who put the fear of God in you. She was pragmatic, demanding, and proudly British, even though she confided in me that she felt much more American than British. Diane liked things just so. An inch either way would be enough for her to voice a strong opinion. Opinionated women can often be alarming, but in Diane I found a heroine. I admired and looked up to Diane. She was no-nonsense. I can remember her calling patients into her office for pelvic examinations with a loudly overheard: Let’s have a look-see, or a get those feet up in the stirrups. I am sure that had she been a man she’d have been reported into oblivion, but

My Plantation Sown With Sorrow

  I recently found this academic paper while going through things in my home. It is a book review of Dorothy West's novel, The Wedding. It was written sometime between 1994-97 when I was working with the Dean of Empire State College,  James H. Case , who served as my mentor. I do not know how to put footnotes in Blogger so I will be using asterisks with an associated number which can be found at the end of the piece.  Two days ago I closed Dorothy West's book, The Wedding, and fell straight to sleep. I had a dream. I was out shopping but had an appointment with E's therapist later in the day. I was supposed to meet E there.  I called twice to say I would be late and finally arrived when the session was over. When I arrive, E and the therapist are friendly. The therapist tells us of a party we might be interested in going to later that very evening. E and I agree to go. We arrived at the party and I immediately split to go sit with the gay men and begin to yuck it up as onl

Consider This

 This post was inspired by my dear friend Sue, a psychoanalyst on the west coast of the US. It was a conversation we recently had where she asked me how I control or deal with being bipolar. She said that my experience was important and that I should write about it. So here we go. I’ve been in therapy on and off for 50 years. Periodically I return to therapy when I need to tease something out that is going on with me where I want a second voice. In another conversation with Sue I asked her if someone could be given a diagnosis at one time and with therapy work through and out of that diagnosis into either another diagnosis or to more awareness, self reflection and control over the things that led you to therapy in the first place. She responded with an emphatic: Yes. Think of it this way: A diagnosis helps to focus your awareness to go further towards your healing and self awareness; gathering self respect along the way. Your awareness expands within the diagnosis and with that expansi