Skip to main content

Finding People Who Look Like You

Yesterday I had a text conversation, at the most 10 lines, with a former teacher of a school I once attended. I was inquiring about the death of a former student. The conversation ended when after he suggested I might find a relative of hers on Instagram, I wrote: No, not really interested. She hadn't been very kind to me back then.

My mother's theory about why my classmates seemed all L'Enfant Terrible was that they were first born children and that I was the youngest of five, a configuration not otherwise seen in my class. I am not sure why that would have made them especially horrid but horrid they were.

One young girl punched me in the stomach each time, under the teacher's direction, I was allowed a drink from the water fountain with a reverse alphabet going first; rather than lining up from Z-A. Another kid, when invited to my home in the Dyckman Street Projects for a sleep over, threw a hissy-fit and demanded to go home when she saw that there was no doorman at my home to open the door for her. I remember distinctly telling her that I would open the door for her, in an attempt to calm her down and get her to stay, but that was not good enough. She sat screaming until taken home.  One kid invited me over for a sleep over and spent the time clawing her nails into my skin calling me names until she fell to sleep. I could go on, even telling of the time of still another kid inviting me over for a sleep over and devising a game whereby we climbed to the top of a large box, jumping onto the bed below. She got me to the top of the box and refused to let me jump too. When I got thoroughly tired of having no fun whatsoever, I pushed her off the box to get my turn, her missing the bed and breaking her arm.

I say: tough luck buddy. These children were horrid, and no, not all children are horrid. I wasn't.

About ten years ago, sneaking in on the coattails of my brother's 40th high school reunion, I revisited that school which is now a low security prison in New York City. It was really a fun day, and I have to say now, that the only people who were kind to me at that school, other than a few teachers, were the older classmates of my two eldest brothers. They always had a smile or three minutes to pinch my cheek and laugh at my youth. I always remember them as the salve in the corridors of that school. One of the things that really struck me on that day was how many former students of colour, all older than me, fled the building on that day declaring: I don't remember those days as being filled with any Kumbaya. They remembered a racist time when seemingly they felt as I had back then.

So this ten line text got me to thinking about something else. I attended that school when we landed on the moon for the first time. When Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, when Harlem was set on fire in the wake of his death, when Bobby Kennedy lay bleeding in a kitchen, when integration was still an angry sentiment in the air that I breathed. And here I was in an experimental school with some of the best educators and psychologists involved with our curriculum. But it was, I think, a big fat experiment. Progressives, liberals, artists, and the bright learned side by side. How many sent their kids there for the desegregated education, and how many sent their kids for the education but despised desegregation? How many sent their kids there so they could be schooled side by side with other children of famous parents? I'll never know.

But the whole point of segregation is to keep whites and blacks separate; to keep the world from looking like me.

So I have to wonder if my existence was far more upsetting than merely being a Black student. I wonder if the horridness had anything to do with what children were told about me, my parents, and the filthy miscegenation that we were up to.  I'll never know but that vitriolic vile bile seemed a bit excessive to me.

Last year I was in Costco, here in Mexico, and I saw a little girl with her mother whom looked Spanish to me. The little girl looked like me. I knew she was bi-racial, but I only had the mother to go on. Later at another store on the same day, I ran into this same mother and daughter only now the father was present. I stopped to talk to them this time as we all simultaneously recognized that we had something in common: the colour of our skin. I however was very aware that the little girl couldn't stop staring at me. I knew that look because I had adopted it when I was wee and I still adopt the look when I see another person who is bi-racial. I stare too. Parents of bi-racial children hate to hear this but bi-racial children don't look up at mom and dad and see themselves. They feel love and know they have parents, but they also know that there is something different about the way they look versus either parent. At 60 I see oodles of bi-racial people running around but I only have my brothers as true reflections of myself; what I look like.

Folks that are not bi-racial always take this as the segue into the very good reasons why children who are bi-racial should not exist. Go fuck yourselves.

They have this notion that those of us that are bi-racial wander around in some sort of operatic tragedy, that will end in consumption and a chorus of: I Told You So.

For the record I have never, not once, imagined myself a tragedy. I feel complete sympathy however for individuals that seem to be solely comfortable and prefer their own kind. I don't have that issue. I was lucky to be raised in such a way that imagining the world was all mine came to be so. Nothing about who I am has ever questioned my right to be, or imagined I was less than. I am racially bi-lingual, with a host of sub-cultures pulling up the rear. I am more integrated than anyone might dream a world to be.

But I know deeply what it feels like to recognize someone who looks like me. I have had parents of young bi-racial children ask me to be a mentor to their young children so that the given child has someone who looks like them in their lives. What an honour to be asked such a thing.  But parents being parents, for the most part, only see themselves or their spouse in their children. The bi-racial child looks like neither parent, and while this can be said about all children, the bi-racial child has an additional level of separation from their parents. A good separation if nurtured by the parent(s).

So yes, I am always seemingly on the lookout for someone who looks like me because I often find home in their hearts. There is a shared upbringing with this stranger that even my parents are not privy to. I love this search. This journey. When I think of a humorous epithet for my epitaph  I kind of like:

I Was Here Whether You Liked It or Not.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diane Tose 1942-2020

  In part, Diane’s passing marks the end of an era. The end of a time in history when the work in HIV research was experimental and run by mavericks. Diane was a ‘maverick’ in the truest sense of the word. We all were no matter the discipline we worked in. We were trailblazers. Diane was a complex woman. If you didn’t come to know her she was just a tall British woman who put the fear of God in you. She was pragmatic, demanding, and proudly British, even though she confided in me that she felt much more American than British. Diane liked things just so. An inch either way would be enough for her to voice a strong opinion. Opinionated women can often be alarming, but in Diane I found a heroine. I admired and looked up to Diane. She was no-nonsense. I can remember her calling patients into her office for pelvic examinations with a loudly overheard: Let’s have a look-see, or a get those feet up in the stirrups. I am sure that had she been a man she’d have been reported into oblivion, but

My Plantation Sown With Sorrow

  I recently found this academic paper while going through things in my home. It is a book review of Dorothy West's novel, The Wedding. It was written sometime between 1994-97 when I was working with the Dean of Empire State College,  James H. Case , who served as my mentor. I do not know how to put footnotes in Blogger so I will be using asterisks with an associated number which can be found at the end of the piece.  Two days ago I closed Dorothy West's book, The Wedding, and fell straight to sleep. I had a dream. I was out shopping but had an appointment with E's therapist later in the day. I was supposed to meet E there.  I called twice to say I would be late and finally arrived when the session was over. When I arrive, E and the therapist are friendly. The therapist tells us of a party we might be interested in going to later that very evening. E and I agree to go. We arrived at the party and I immediately split to go sit with the gay men and begin to yuck it up as onl

Consider This

 This post was inspired by my dear friend Sue, a psychoanalyst on the west coast of the US. It was a conversation we recently had where she asked me how I control or deal with being bipolar. She said that my experience was important and that I should write about it. So here we go. I’ve been in therapy on and off for 50 years. Periodically I return to therapy when I need to tease something out that is going on with me where I want a second voice. In another conversation with Sue I asked her if someone could be given a diagnosis at one time and with therapy work through and out of that diagnosis into either another diagnosis or to more awareness, self reflection and control over the things that led you to therapy in the first place. She responded with an emphatic: Yes. Think of it this way: A diagnosis helps to focus your awareness to go further towards your healing and self awareness; gathering self respect along the way. Your awareness expands within the diagnosis and with that expansi