Skip to main content

What Makes Me Wonderful

I need to remind myself today of the qualities that make me wonderful. My friend hung up the phone with me last night and said: Take care of you. I lied to her and said I would. I lied because I really wasn't sure how to do that.

What does it mean?

I googled the phrase: How To Take Care Of Yourself and believe it or not there are concrete things I can do. The most prominent one that seemed to come up most often was to sit down and write a list of what makes you (me) unique and wonderful. My first reaction to that was: Come on… you must be kidding but then I realized that I had never made such a list or even thought about what qualities I might have that are worthy of respect, love and the love of a good person.

So here I go

I am loyal. I will stay by your side forever as long as I am treated well. You don't have to agree with me or share my interests, but I will be your friend forever. I will even remain your friend when you need to go away and not talk to me for awhile. I will listen to you when you come back.

When you do mean shitty things to me I will never stoop to your level and do mean shitty things to you back. I will simply move on and move away. I guess you can say I am not revengeful. That being said, sometimes I make decisions knowing full well that once the bridge has been crossed I can't go back. Sometimes this deliberateness is done to make sure I don't return to chaos.

I am funny. I'm really funny. I can take even the darkest episode and find the joke in it. I can make you laugh. I can make you laugh until the tears run down your face and equally I would say I have a good sense of humour.

I am a good cook and know know how to make tasty things from a world of menu's.

I throw excellent parties where everyone has fun, no one feels slighted and people make friends. I am very proud of this skill because it was not until recently that I discovered that this is a true knack. I did not recognize this skill in myself until I saw how miserable people where, myself included, at what other people defined as a party.

I have the most amazing set of lips a person could want. They are natural and I wear lipstick like a goddess.

I'm educated. I hold a MA. Most people can't say that.

I have a beautiful singing voice and I love to sing and I support and participate in Karaoke.

I listen fully when you need me to listen.

I give really good sound advice on a variety of topics. I can also just listen to you when you just want to talk.

I am direct and honest. Most people claim this trait but I am the real deal. I will hide nothing from you and all of it will be said with a loving heart but not necessarily the best tone. I am working on my tone, but you will never have to worry with me where you stand.

You can get angry at me without fear that I will leave.

I am not petty. Once I say what I need to say, I will not bring it up again unless you keep doing it like a broken record.

I argue fairly. I will never drag up ancient history when you are trying to deal with a problem now. I will not confuse issues or try and make you feel guilty for something in an attempt to get you to leave me alone. I'm not manipulative in this way.

I know how to give people privacy and I respect the right to space. I am not clingy.

I know how to make people feel comfortable. And I am also adept at making people uncomfortable. Both of these traits are good.

I am helpful and I genuinely care about how people are faring.

I know how to take care of you when you are sick and are the kind of person that wants to be left alone.

I am a lay musicologist and can introduce a person to some great new music.

I'm not a prude and you will find there is no subject I am not willing to talk about or discuss with you.

I think what is also interesting about this exercise is that while many (perhaps most) people will never hang around long enough to know any of your good qualities, you should know what they are. We should remind ourselves of how wonderful we are when people claim otherwise. In my humble opinion people tend not to like me because I am serious about engagement. I have no interest in talking about the weather but most people are comfortable at that level. I am never disliked once I am known and fleshed out. Most dismissals of me happen within minutes. Too, for me, there is a racial component: sometimes I am dismissed because the dismisser thinks they know all there is to know about people who look like me. It's a 'why bother' kind of thing.

I am proud of my qualities and achievements as you should be too. Write your own list and ponder what it means in the scope of your life.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diane Tose 1942-2020

  In part, Diane’s passing marks the end of an era. The end of a time in history when the work in HIV research was experimental and run by mavericks. Diane was a ‘maverick’ in the truest sense of the word. We all were no matter the discipline we worked in. We were trailblazers. Diane was a complex woman. If you didn’t come to know her she was just a tall British woman who put the fear of God in you. She was pragmatic, demanding, and proudly British, even though she confided in me that she felt much more American than British. Diane liked things just so. An inch either way would be enough for her to voice a strong opinion. Opinionated women can often be alarming, but in Diane I found a heroine. I admired and looked up to Diane. She was no-nonsense. I can remember her calling patients into her office for pelvic examinations with a loudly overheard: Let’s have a look-see, or a get those feet up in the stirrups. I am sure that had she been a man she’d have been reported into oblivion, but

My Plantation Sown With Sorrow

  I recently found this academic paper while going through things in my home. It is a book review of Dorothy West's novel, The Wedding. It was written sometime between 1994-97 when I was working with the Dean of Empire State College,  James H. Case , who served as my mentor. I do not know how to put footnotes in Blogger so I will be using asterisks with an associated number which can be found at the end of the piece.  Two days ago I closed Dorothy West's book, The Wedding, and fell straight to sleep. I had a dream. I was out shopping but had an appointment with E's therapist later in the day. I was supposed to meet E there.  I called twice to say I would be late and finally arrived when the session was over. When I arrive, E and the therapist are friendly. The therapist tells us of a party we might be interested in going to later that very evening. E and I agree to go. We arrived at the party and I immediately split to go sit with the gay men and begin to yuck it up as onl

Consider This

 This post was inspired by my dear friend Sue, a psychoanalyst on the west coast of the US. It was a conversation we recently had where she asked me how I control or deal with being bipolar. She said that my experience was important and that I should write about it. So here we go. I’ve been in therapy on and off for 50 years. Periodically I return to therapy when I need to tease something out that is going on with me where I want a second voice. In another conversation with Sue I asked her if someone could be given a diagnosis at one time and with therapy work through and out of that diagnosis into either another diagnosis or to more awareness, self reflection and control over the things that led you to therapy in the first place. She responded with an emphatic: Yes. Think of it this way: A diagnosis helps to focus your awareness to go further towards your healing and self awareness; gathering self respect along the way. Your awareness expands within the diagnosis and with that expansi