Skip to main content

Finding Comfort Amongst Orphans

Dear Daddy,

Yesterday I found myself lonely for the first time in my life. I suddenly felt alone with a swelling need inside to talk to someone. Not just anyone but someone good and I blurted out aloud: Let me call dad! and just as suddenly I knew I couldn't.  You would have been the perfect one to have called. I can hear your voice now answering the call: Hi baby! And off we'd go for a two hour jaw wag. But you aren't here any longer and I don't have that luxury anymore. And for me, it was a luxury.

So I called John. I was hesitant to call him because I have not often experienced him to be deep or sympathetic in the ways that matter to me. To the chronically ill he is the type to say: Get well soon. But call him I did and I found an old friend feeling just as I do as he has just recently lost the last of his parents; his mother. And for two hours I talked and he talked and I learned that he too felt the same pangs and fears of being single and alone and having a deep hurt inside to connect.  His vulnerability was palpable and I found myself easing in to him with my own vulnerabilities and what began with trepidation ended in a bonding love. He revealed to me that since her death he has learned that many people in his family did not like his parents. They were fire and brimstone Christians and I guess were quite un-Christian-like to those that didn't buy into their way of life. I pointed out to him that whoever they had been they had raised a really remarkable, sensitive man. Somewhere along the line he said to me: No, Moira you are not like others either and it all came back to me why I had loved John all those years ago, and he me. I remembered the conversations we had about finding each other and never having to explain ourselves. We were two children with parents that had been Black in ways we never had to be Black, and that for our parents, in some ways, there was a disconnect towards us children. We didn't have the same fears, concerns or respect for the life they lived through. we were Jim Crow free. And in my heart I know that, you daddy, wanted nothing more than to have children who didn't have to see the shit you saw but I am equally sure you were often befuddled by our arrogance; that we  traipsed around as we pleased. It is like you gave birth to a bunch of heathens who ridiculed your life in some ways. Not directly of course, but by not internalizing the same hardships that you had undergone.

It was like that time in the elevator when we had to make a police report for your rental car having been broken in to and the four of us, the white cop, you chocolate brown, my caramel skin, and Eric with his green eyes and Afro, being asked by the suspicious cop: How are you all related? And me, in my effervescent way cheerfully introduced us all. Afterward you railed into me like I was some sort of crazy woman for being like that with a policeman. I didn't understand what the fuss was about until years later, in Kentucky, I took a wrong turn down a one-way street and got pulled over in the car with a nephew, a cousin and your ex-lovers two kids from Sweden. The policemen asked the same question: How are you all related, and I cheerfully answered. But then he asked another question which disturbed me. He asked: None of you are local? I knew the meaning of that question and I chilled, but went on in my cheerful way, proving I wasn't local, and insuring that no one was forced to step out of the car. Locals in Kentucky, coloured ones, don't address the police with such cheerfulness and glee. So dad, I do, I did understand your life but a part of my new life, living a different kind of Black navigates the old layering it with the new.

I've never seen John stuck in depression as he is now. I have seen him cry and I have seen him sentimental but never have I seen him give pause and reflect so deeply and despite his feelings of woe I felt closer to him than I have in ages. I am eternally thankful for my old friends. I have no profound words other than to say I am thankful that I can turn towards someone I love and not only get what I need but give comfort too. Nothing is sweeter.

After my call with John, Zaza called and for another two hours I talked with another old friend. And here I found comfort learning of a son who adored his father and has carried on his name ten years after his death. A few years ago he had a small bust of his father, Shalva Mchedlishvili, erected in a local park. More recently he petitioned and received the right to have the street that he lives on changed to his fathers name. His father had survived Gulag, was a doctor to the poor, a writer and poet. He reveals to me that he is writing a historical book about another village, where the family home is, and all its wonderful history with wine making and such.  He loved his father. His father was his hero and since his death he has honoured him by insuring that his father is remembered.

I have never met Zaza in person though one day I hope to. I have known him for 15 years and he knows and remembers more about me than most. I have fallen in and out of love with him, and then back in, and I have watched him turn gray. I have watched his daughter grow up and once I even met his father. Zaza, not knowing the name Moira, had thought it some random American name and it was Shalva who informed him of its meaning. Zaza was with me the day Milo died. He saw me through a divorce. He travelled with me from Vermont, to New York and is with me here in Mexico. I love our friendship. He is one of my friends that gives me the most comfort. He loves to sit and talk and I find his touch, his manner, comforting.  I know that should we ever meet all that comfort shall remain in place.

They say that once our parents die it is then, as orphans, we become adults.  I wish I could have called you daddy, but I want you to know that I found good comfort elsewhere with people who knew what it meant to no longer return home.                                                                            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diane Tose 1942-2020

  In part, Diane’s passing marks the end of an era. The end of a time in history when the work in HIV research was experimental and run by mavericks. Diane was a ‘maverick’ in the truest sense of the word. We all were no matter the discipline we worked in. We were trailblazers. Diane was a complex woman. If you didn’t come to know her she was just a tall British woman who put the fear of God in you. She was pragmatic, demanding, and proudly British, even though she confided in me that she felt much more American than British. Diane liked things just so. An inch either way would be enough for her to voice a strong opinion. Opinionated women can often be alarming, but in Diane I found a heroine. I admired and looked up to Diane. She was no-nonsense. I can remember her calling patients into her office for pelvic examinations with a loudly overheard: Let’s have a look-see, or a get those feet up in the stirrups. I am sure that had she been a man she’d have been reported into oblivion, but

My Plantation Sown With Sorrow

  I recently found this academic paper while going through things in my home. It is a book review of Dorothy West's novel, The Wedding. It was written sometime between 1994-97 when I was working with the Dean of Empire State College,  James H. Case , who served as my mentor. I do not know how to put footnotes in Blogger so I will be using asterisks with an associated number which can be found at the end of the piece.  Two days ago I closed Dorothy West's book, The Wedding, and fell straight to sleep. I had a dream. I was out shopping but had an appointment with E's therapist later in the day. I was supposed to meet E there.  I called twice to say I would be late and finally arrived when the session was over. When I arrive, E and the therapist are friendly. The therapist tells us of a party we might be interested in going to later that very evening. E and I agree to go. We arrived at the party and I immediately split to go sit with the gay men and begin to yuck it up as onl

Consider This

 This post was inspired by my dear friend Sue, a psychoanalyst on the west coast of the US. It was a conversation we recently had where she asked me how I control or deal with being bipolar. She said that my experience was important and that I should write about it. So here we go. I’ve been in therapy on and off for 50 years. Periodically I return to therapy when I need to tease something out that is going on with me where I want a second voice. In another conversation with Sue I asked her if someone could be given a diagnosis at one time and with therapy work through and out of that diagnosis into either another diagnosis or to more awareness, self reflection and control over the things that led you to therapy in the first place. She responded with an emphatic: Yes. Think of it this way: A diagnosis helps to focus your awareness to go further towards your healing and self awareness; gathering self respect along the way. Your awareness expands within the diagnosis and with that expansi