Skip to main content

Four Short Stories

Snapshots In Transit

A Bus

I am on a bus going up First Avenue in New York City. I'm reading a book. I can hear, without looking around, that someone is sniffling up what sound like a lot of snot. I continue to read and the sniffling becomes regular, and begins to sound as though buckets might be needed. This goes on for about ten minutes. I look around to see who is generating such a factory of mucous when I notice that other riders have already spotted the culprit. It is a young man, late 20's, in a white T-shirt and khaki pants. His nose is a full blown scarlet coloured gin blossom. He looks as if he has had a cold since birth. His chest is concave and he is a healthy shade of paste. Just the way he looks causes those nearby to erupt in titters. The tittering, I have to assume, embarrasses him, and I imagine he interprets the laughter as a suggestion from strangers that he blow his nose rather than sniffle. So out he pulls a handkerchief with the dimensions of a twin-sized bed sheet and begins to blow away. With each blow he turns his huge textile infrastructure 'round and 'round looking for a clean space to blow next, maneuvering it like Buster Keaton faced with a newspaper. And like Buster Keaton his face remains deadpan, seemingly oblivious to the ridiculousness of his situation. Everyone in near proximity howls with laughter, and each howl solidifies his deadpan causing the cycle to repeat. In turn, as each of us alight, we wish him better health and laugh our way off the bus.

Another Bus

On yet another bus in San Francisco. It is crowded as school has been let out. It's autumn and I am wearing a blue mohair sweater. I scrunch myself, bending and turning towards the back of the bus making way for more passengers. I find a space with a pole to hang onto. More passengers scrunch pass me causing me to lean in over those seated. I lean and stand, lean and stand --repeating this movement. Suddenly I notice, that silently, the women seated in front of me is looking up at me and then down to my chest.  She repeats this glance again and again as if giving me a code suggesting danger ahead. I look down to my own chest thinking my sweater must be open but instead I find her wig attached with a bobby-pin to my mohair sweater. There is nothing anyone can really do in situations such as this other than to simply unpin the wig and hand it back.

A Train

I am on the number 4 train leaving Borough Hall on my way to Manhattan for work. At least three times a week during rush hour the train must wait in the tunnel under The East River to wait its turn to go. These delays can last up to what seems like eternity. Five to ten minutes packed with sardines whom you do not know can seem like forever. It is claustrophobic, hot, damp and unbearable. We are pressed together so closely that the mere bulk of our bodies keeps everyone standing. There is a woman, all dressed up in crazy, who uses these delays to belt out, at the top of her lungs, nonsensical religious brimstone and to point out that we are all going to hell. We already feel as though we are in hell so this blast of noise feels redundant and cruel. She is a regular commuter like myself and this is perhaps the 30th time I have had to endure her early morning outbursts.

With one hand holding onto a strap overhead, my other arm is pinned to my side unable to do anything but wait for its release at Bowling Green when the train will empty.  Suddenly I feel movement at my backside. I pay close attention to the movement trying to determine if it is a handbag, an umbrella or simply someone trying to shift into a better position. I can not lift my right arm so I slowly travel my fingers round my own body to the back and feel something I can not identify. Attaché cases are on floors, handbags should be felt near mid back, so I touch it with my hand trying to quickly identify it. We reach Bowling Green and suddenly the train empties and I turn to identify this thing at my backside. I find an ugly troll with his limp dick lolling out of his unzipped trousers and a big toothless grin on his face. He looks delighted as though he has satisfied me in some way. I am horrified and begin to screech and scratch out every combination that 'fucker' combines with. No one else has seen his penis and my sudden howling is presumed by others to be an indication of my strangeness. He escapes the train as the doors close leaving me behind to carry on to work.

An Airport

Many years before I learned to screech and scratch I find myself alone in an airport in New York City. I am coming from Prince Edward Island and on my way to California. I am a child alone feeling all of the things children alone feel when adults are in the throes of vindictive divorce. I am wearing a grey dress with two rows of brass buttons down the front not unlike turn of the century NYC police uniforms. Despite all of these buttons a strange man has sat down beside me and found his way around the buttons and to the flesh on my chest which will one day be known as my breasts.

We are sitting side by side and hoards of passengers stream by, glance, and hurry on with that international air of busied importance that many people adopt in airports. I would like to think the look on my face conveyed a sense of pleading with a healthy dose of terror thrown in, but I may have adopted a frozen look, and simply disappeared conveying to those striding by that what they were seeing was a typical day for me and, not to worry. All these years later, I can not say.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diane Tose 1942-2020

  In part, Diane’s passing marks the end of an era. The end of a time in history when the work in HIV research was experimental and run by mavericks. Diane was a ‘maverick’ in the truest sense of the word. We all were no matter the discipline we worked in. We were trailblazers. Diane was a complex woman. If you didn’t come to know her she was just a tall British woman who put the fear of God in you. She was pragmatic, demanding, and proudly British, even though she confided in me that she felt much more American than British. Diane liked things just so. An inch either way would be enough for her to voice a strong opinion. Opinionated women can often be alarming, but in Diane I found a heroine. I admired and looked up to Diane. She was no-nonsense. I can remember her calling patients into her office for pelvic examinations with a loudly overheard: Let’s have a look-see, or a get those feet up in the stirrups. I am sure that had she been a man she’d have been reported into oblivion, but

My Plantation Sown With Sorrow

  I recently found this academic paper while going through things in my home. It is a book review of Dorothy West's novel, The Wedding. It was written sometime between 1994-97 when I was working with the Dean of Empire State College,  James H. Case , who served as my mentor. I do not know how to put footnotes in Blogger so I will be using asterisks with an associated number which can be found at the end of the piece.  Two days ago I closed Dorothy West's book, The Wedding, and fell straight to sleep. I had a dream. I was out shopping but had an appointment with E's therapist later in the day. I was supposed to meet E there.  I called twice to say I would be late and finally arrived when the session was over. When I arrive, E and the therapist are friendly. The therapist tells us of a party we might be interested in going to later that very evening. E and I agree to go. We arrived at the party and I immediately split to go sit with the gay men and begin to yuck it up as onl

Consider This

 This post was inspired by my dear friend Sue, a psychoanalyst on the west coast of the US. It was a conversation we recently had where she asked me how I control or deal with being bipolar. She said that my experience was important and that I should write about it. So here we go. I’ve been in therapy on and off for 50 years. Periodically I return to therapy when I need to tease something out that is going on with me where I want a second voice. In another conversation with Sue I asked her if someone could be given a diagnosis at one time and with therapy work through and out of that diagnosis into either another diagnosis or to more awareness, self reflection and control over the things that led you to therapy in the first place. She responded with an emphatic: Yes. Think of it this way: A diagnosis helps to focus your awareness to go further towards your healing and self awareness; gathering self respect along the way. Your awareness expands within the diagnosis and with that expansi